St. Stephen's Reformed Church - New Holland, PA
St. Stephen's Reformed Church in New Holland dedicated their new Tannenberg organ on September 20, 1801. Assisting in the service were musicians from Lititz Moravian Church. Two old photographs (see below) show that it was strikingly similar to the organ Tannenberg built one year later for Hebron Lutheran Church in Madison, Virginia. The organ was most likely located on either the west or east gallery as the wine glass pulpit was loctaed on the north wall. The old photo also shows what appears to be eight large stop knobs very similar to the ones on the Madison organ. This suggests that the stop list was also nearly identical or exactly the same as the organ in Madison. In addition, some of the front pipes appear to be a Principal dulcis 8'. Unlike the Madsion organ, however, the organ for St. Stephen's Reformed had a foot lever to turn on and off the Principal 8'. The case appears to have also had side carvings.
In 1853, the interior of the church was radically rebuilt with a floor added at the gallery level to provide Sunday School rooms on the lower floor. The Tannenberg organ was relocated to the front of the church.
The organ was used by St. Stephen's until 1920 when it was dismantled and given to a newly organized Reformed Church in Lititz. It was never installed, however, and was stored in the basement of the pastor. Apparently, the plan to use the organ was abandoned and the organ was discarded.
Click on the thumbnails to see the larger pictures (note: the old photos are large files):
Old photographs courtesy St. Stephen's United Church of Christ, New Holland,